The Jaguar XK150 is a sports car generated by Jaguar between 1957 as well as 1961. It replaced the XK140.
Initially it was offered in Fixed Head Coupé (FHC) as well as Drop Head Coupé (DHC) versions. The open two seat roadster (OTC) was not introduced till 1958. Token rear seats were suited the coupés.
Although having a family members similarity to the XK120 and XK140, the XK150 was significantly modernized. A one piece windscreen replaced the split display, as well as the wing line no more went down as much over the doors. The bonnet was broadened, opened to the wings, and on the roadster the bulkhead was returned 4 inches (102 mm) to make the hood much longer. The auto was offered at different times in Red, Pearl Grey, White, Indigo Blue, Red, Cotswold Blue, Black, Haze Grey, Sherwood Environment-friendly, Carmen Red, British racing Green, Cornish grey as well as Imperial Maroon.
In the interior, the XK140’s walnut dashboard was changed by one trimmed in leather. On the very early Drop Head Coupés, an aluminium centre dash panel with an X pattern inscription was fitted which looked similar to the very early 3.8 E-type. It was ceased after June 1958. Thinner doors offered more indoor space.
The basic engine, the same as equipped to the XK140, was the 3.4 litre DOHC Jaguar straight-6 rated at 180 SAE bhp at 5750 rpm yet most cars and trucks were fitted with the SE engine that had a customized cylinder head with larger exhaust valves ranked at 210 SAE bhp at 5500 rpm. Twin 1.75-inch (44 mm) SU HD6 carburettors were fitted.
While the very first Jaguar XK150 were slower than their precursors, the deficit was remedied in the spring of 1958 with a 3.4-litre “S” engine with 3 2-inch (51 mm) SU HD8 carburettors and a straight ported cyndrical tube head offering a declared 250 SAE bhp.
For 1960, Jaguar tired its 3.4 to 3.8 litres, ranking this choice at 220 hp (164 kW; 223 PS) in conventional tune or 265 hp (198 kW; 269 PS) “S” form. A 3.8 litre 150S might cover 135 mph (217 km/h) as well as sprint from 0-60 mph in around 7.0 seconds, therefore bring back whatever verve the XK had been missing.
Four-wheel Dunlop 12 in (305 mm) disc brakes stood for the very first time although it was theoretically feasible to order a car with drums. Either cord wheels or disc wheels could be defined. Suspension and also framework were extremely similar to that on the XK140. Guiding was by rack and pinion; power steering was not supplied.
Production finished in October 1960, and completed 2265 Roadsters, 4445 Fixed Head Coupés and 2672 Drop Head Coupés.
XK 150 Engines
Version/ Years/ Variation/ Arrangement/ Bore-Stroke/ Carburettor/ Power
XK 150 3.4/ 1957-1959/ 3442cc/ DOHC Straight-6/ 83mm x 106mm/ Dual SU H6/ 190 bhp (142 kW; 193 PS) @ 5500 rpm
XK 150 3.4 S/ 1957-1959/ 3442 cc/ DOHC Straight-6/ 83 mm x 106 mm/ Three-way SU H8/ 250 bhp (186 kW; 253 PS) @ 5500 rpm
XK 150 3.8/ 1959-1960/ 3781 cc/ DOHC Straight-6/ 87 mm x 106 mm/ Dual SU H6/ 220 bhp (164 kW; 223 PS) @ 5500 rpm
XK 150 3.8 S/ 1959-1960/ 3781 cc/ DOHC Straight-6/ 87 mm x 106 mm/ Triple SU H8/ 265 bhp (198 kW; 269 PS) @ 5500 rpm
A 250 bhp 3.4 litre XK150S Fixed-head coupé with restricted slip differential was checked by the British publication The Motor in 1959. It had a top speed of 132 mph (212 km/h) and might speed up from 0-60 mph (97 km/h) in 7.8 seconds. A fuel consumption of 22.0 miles per royal gallon (12.8 L/100 kilometres; 18.3 mpg-US) was taped. The examination car cost ₤ 2110 consisting of tax obligations of ₤ 623. It went to the moment the fastest shut car the publication had ever before subjected to a full road test.